[OS X TeX] Annoying behavior in TeXShop 2.18

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon Sep 1 22:45:48 CEST 2008

I notice that the new MacTeX includes various things which were
previously packaged separately and/or handled differently. For example,
Ghostscript and ImageMagick.

This prompts a couple of questions (trying to satisfy my curiosity in
the absence of an installer to dissect):

1.	Will the installer overwrite installations in /usr/local?

Related...
2.	What, if anything, will the installer install and/or delete in
/usr/local _outside_ of /usr/local/texlive/2008?
3.	Is it possible/advisable to configure the installation to use
existing installations of these associated utilities rather than
installing its own?

I'm assuming the installer will not touch the contents of
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local but it seems worth asking:
4.	Is that a safe assumption?

I'm guessing the installer will also leave /usr/local/texlive/2007
alone but am not sure:
5.	Is that correct?

Possibly not a matter for MacTeX/texlive...
6.	What is the current status/likely future of gtamacfonts?
7.	Is anybody extending it/interested in extending it?

If anybody can help satisfy my curiosity, that'd be great. Otherwise,
I'll just have to be patient...

- cfr