[OS X TeX] Where did StMaryRd go?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Oct 25 21:39:25 CEST 2008

On Sat 25th Oct, 2008 at 14:37, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:

> On Oct 25, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Franck Pastor wrote:
>

>> Le 25 oct. 08 ? 18:13, Alain Schremmer a ?crit :
>>
>>> In order to try and take advantage of Richard Koch's "recommend[ation to
>>> Benish] to basically start over with a new install of TeXShop and
>>> SimpleTeX4ht" I downloaded and installed BasicTeX-2008 and
>>> mactex-additions.mpkg.
>>>
>>> But, when I tried to typeset a recent file, I got the message
>>> 	File 'stmaryrd.sty' not found.
>>> and, when I hit return, got all sorts of incomprehensible stuff.
>>>
>>> So I used TeX Distribution to get back to gwTeX and everything works as
>>> before (Big sigh of relief!) but what is going on?
>>>
>>> Puzzled regards
>>> --schremmer
>>
>> Well, BasicTeX deserves its name: it's really basic. As such it contains
>> very few packages?
>
> So I see!
>
> But what I don't get is that stmaryrd IS somewhere on my computer.

As part of gwTeX? When you're using BasicTeX, TeX will use what's in
the appropriate search path i.e. /usr/local/texlive/2008basic,
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, ~/Library/texmf or whatever. When
you're switch to gwTeX, TeX will use /usr/local/tetex or whatever
rather than /usr/local/texlive/2008basic. So it is very possible for it
to be on your computer but not in the relevant search path.

- cfr