[OS X TeX] Stymied by updmap-sys; what's going on?

Gary Church gary.church1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 03:03:30 CEST 2008

Peter and Tom,

I tried Tom's suggestion and commented out the lines in my map file
(actually tmm-pea.map) as shown below:

%%tmrm108r Times8r-Roman " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tir_____.pfb
%%tmro108r " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tir_____.pfb
%%tmri108r Times8r-Italic " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tii_____.pfb
%%tmui108r " -.277 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tii_____.pfb
%%tmbi108r Times8r-BoldItalic " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
<8r.enc <tibi____.pfb
%%tmbu108r " -.277 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tibi____.pfb
%%tmrb108r Times8r-Bold " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tib_____.pfb
%%tmbo108r " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<tib_____.pfb

Then I ran:
sudo updmap-sys --disable tmm-pea.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map tmm-pea.map

and all is well. When I compose my file (with the \usepackage{tmmaths}
line), my file composes properly
with the tmmath fonts and Times fonts without those pesky "font map
entry ... exists" messages.

So Peter, will this be a problem in the future?

I'm not familiar with the mathptmx fonts, so I'll have to give that a
look-see.

Thanks much for all the suggestions from the good folks on this list.
I hope I'll be able to contribute
as well once my knowledge space increases :-)

Gary