[OS X TeX] No numbers for bib items in Beamer presentation

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 20:04:30 CEST 2008

At 11:07 -0500 22/10/08, Christopher Menzel wrote:
>On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Peter Vamos wrote:

>>>Rude,
>>
>>Not meant to be.
>
>I'll take your word for it.
>
>>See
>>
>><http://www.acronymfinder.com/RTFM.html>
>
>That page is of course missing the original and surely the most
>commonly intended meaning.  At least Wikipedia is up front about it:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

OK, I am not a UNIX geek and always thought that it was ambiguous,
the meaning being in the reader's mind. No offence meant. In this
particular context I can honestly say that I am a great fan of Till
Tantau and his manuals for Beamer and TikZ; while certainly Fine and
Friendly they are also, IMHO,  Fantastic and Fun.

As it happens, a few months ago I came up against the very same
problem you've encountered so I was happy to help.

BTW, Tantau certainly has strong views on how a presentation should
look like hence the default  format of the bibliography - he believes
that a presentation should not be like a paper, a view I agree with.
However, my problem was that I was giving a short presentation on
BibTeX (induction course for new PhD students) as used in papers
theses etc so I had to have the bibliography for my presentation the
way it would look like in a paper. Knowing how well Tantau  writes
his programmes I was confident that there is an override to the
default and so it turned out to be. There are in fact a few other
similar situations with Beamer e.g. the use of \verb but this is
another story.

Peter