[OS X TeX] tlmgr

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 17 15:01:38 CEST 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> The MacTeX wiki currently recommends running:
> 	sudo tlmgr update --all
>
> Question: is there some reason to prefer this to:
> 	sudo -H tlmgr update --all
> ?
>
> If not, I suggest the recommendation should be changed as the former
> can fail in cases where the latter will not. For example, when I last
> ran the former, it failed to regenerate two formats but it would have
> succeeded had I used the latter. This is because configuration files
> in
> my personal tex tree screwed up the generation of two formats I've
> never
> actually used. This could be especially problematic on multi-user
> systems.
>
> It seems more appropriate for the system-wide formats to not depend on
> user-specific settings in the personal tex tree of the user who
> happens
> to update the installation. If a user wants to generate personal
> formats, that's fine but should presumably be done with fmtutil rather
> than fmtutil-sys which is what tlmgr calls.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - cfr

Howdy,

I'm not quite sure qhy the formats weren't regenerated. Do you have
anything in a ~/.texlive2008 directory? Is there a web2c sub-directory?

If you have fonts, etc., with map files, etc., in your personal tree
then when tlmgr runs updmap-sys it won't find them if you use the -H
parameter.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)