[OS X TeX] latex->dvips->Distiller->Acrobat Professional

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Nov 18 23:50:38 CET 2008

Hi again,

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2008, at 20:44, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>> As suggested by Herbert, this is fixed by doing:
>>> $ simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1"
>>> --distiller ps2pdf14 filename.tex

Yes, I've set this in AUCTeX in Carbon Emacs, and it works (as I
already wrote before), except that Skim updates the pdf with Revert. Here
is an exact copy of the command that I included in AUCTeX:

simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1"
--distiller ps2pdf14 "%t"
How: Value Menu TeX-run-command

With the selection "TeX-run-TeX" Skim opens a dvi, without the edges
drawn.

>> What options are you sending to dvips? In TeXShop I usually include
>>
>> --extradvipsopts "-R0"

I tried this with TeXShop: it does not work. Otherwise, synctex works ok
in TeXShop on my MacBook Pro with:

Engine
TeX + dvips + distiller
simpdftex etex --maxpfb --extratexopts --synctex=1

Latex (default: simpdftex tex)
simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts --synctex=1

Bruno posted these setting in September.

> Not really. On the other hand, I add (to ps2pdf):
> -distiller-opts '-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress'

If I add this option to the above command (simpdftex) in Carbon Emacs,
the texing fails. But it works with simpdftex-1, which
you gave me at some point, incl. the command:

simpdftex-1 latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --distiller ps2pdf14
--distiller-opts '-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress' --tex-path /usr/texbin  "%t"

Before simpdftex-1 worked ok, but strangely, now, it has changed its
behaviour: after a 2nd run of simpdftex-1
C-c C-v opens a 2nd Skim window. Something messy is going on, perhaps
because of the new version of simpdftex.

How may I see what version of simpdftex I have? It should be the latest,
since I had to reinstall OS X (10.5.5) and MacTeX-2008 (MacTeX.mpkg.zip).
What I can see is:

$ ls -l simpdftex
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  39 Sep 25 18:22 simpdftex ->
../../texmf/scripts/simpdftex/simpdftex

Roussanka