[OS X TeX] bibtex8 engine and %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX

Wed Nov 12 19:17:55 CET 2008

On 12.11.2008, at 13:10, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as we know if you put this line on top of your TeXShop document it
>> will trigger the XeLaTeX engine on Cmd-T
>> 	%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
>>
>> Running bibtex by manually choosing it in the engines' drop-down
>> menu and clicking Typeset works and will call bibtex
>> However, I want to run Bibtex8 and have thus created a bibtex8
>> engine looking like this (set this up with the help of this list,
>> thanks again)
>> 	#!/bin/bash
>>
>> 	export PATH="$PATH:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin"
>> 	bibtex8 --wolfgang "$(basename -s .tex $1).aux"
>>
>> Problem is that with the TS-program defined as written above my
>> bibtex8 engine stopped working and it is overridden by the TS-
>> program setting. As I said, this will not happen with normal
>> bibtex. How should I modify my bibtex8 engine in order for it to
>> work regardless of the TS-program definition?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Alex
>

> Howdy,
>
> I prefer using latexmk (the xelatexmk engine) since it takes care
> of all of the necessary processing and re-processing. By default it
> would use bibtex for bibliography processing so you've got to make
> another engine and rc file.
>
> Duplicate the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/xelatexmkrc file and call it,
> e.g., xelatex8mkrc. Add the line
>
> $bibtex = "bibtex8 --wolfgang %O %S"
>
> just under the definition of $pdflatex in that file. That tells
> latexmk to use bibtex8 for processing bibliographies.
>
> Now you've got to create an engine that uses that rc file.
> Duplicate (important to preserve the execute permissions) ~/Library/
> TeXShop/Engines/xelatexmk.engine file and rename it
> xelatex8mk.engine. Open that engine file in TeXShop by double
> clicking it. Then change the name of the rc file in the latexmk
> line from xelatexmkrc to xelatex8mkrc and save it.
>
> Placing the line
>
> %%!TEX TS-program = xelatex8mk
>
> at the top of the file will then use that engine.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Thanks to both Pete and Herb,

I decided to try the latexmk approach. However, I found out that both
latexmk and my new latexmk8 engines do not go into the bibtex phase
and fail to create a bibliography. I am using Biblatex - could that
be the case? Everything else in the preamble is pretty basic. If no
problems with biblatex are know I am happy to create a minimal example.

Best,

Alex