[OS X TeX] opcit problem

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Mon Nov 10 19:44:01 CET 2008

At 3:17 PM +0000 11/10/08, Will Lowe wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have run into a rather odd problem with the opcit package,
>apparently unmentioned in previous list conversations.  Does anyone
>recognize it?
>
>Running bibtex on a file containing the header:
>
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage{opcit}
>\usepackage{graphicx}
>\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}
>\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}
>
>and only \cite commands, generates the following message:

Not quite a minimal document. The other packages aren't doing
anything.  But I get the same error.

>This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.7)
>The top-level auxiliary file: example2.aux
>The style file: opcit.bst
>No `"' to end string literal---line 552 of file opcit.bst
>No `"' to end string literal---line 553 of file opcit.bst
>Database file #1: bibliography.bib
>
>The offending lines of opcit.bst are:
>
>551          'skip$
>552          { "\bibpunctuation'' \newblock\toomit[howpublished]{\bibcase
>553              " howpublished  * write$
>554            "}" 'quotes :=
>555          }
>
>but I'm afraid this stuff makes no sense to me.  The local setup is
>a straight MacTeX 2008 with UTF-8 encoded source and bibliography
>files, compiled with TeXShop.

You shouldn't use utf8 encoded bibtex files since bibtex doesn't
actually deal with unicode, but I don't think this is the source of
the problem.

If you ignore the error and then latex your file again don't the
citations turn out correctly anyway?  It does on my system (TL 2007).

Alan

Alan Munn						amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages		Tel.
	517-355-7491
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824 USA	Fax	517-432-2736