[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Fri Nov 7 20:29:20 CET 2008

Many thanks to the three people who responded to my queries. I will
try to respond to each in turn.

Alain, thanks for your suggestions.  I do have a root file with
\includes for each chapter, but it would make much more sense to have
separate folders for each chapter and be able to typeset each
individually as you suggested. I will probably change to your strategy.

My concern about speed is in part due to the fact that TeXtures on
both a G5 and the latest Intel Mac takes about 1 second to typeset
the entire TeXbook. I realize that TeXtures is carefully optimized on
both architectures, but my 200 page document takes about 20 to 30
seconds to typeset. My book is somewhat simpler than the TeXbook (so
far).  The speed is very sensitive to the number of apps open - with
a completely "clean plate" (no apps running), the typeset time can be
a little as 10 seconds or so and this time can treble if I have a
number of apps open. This suggests memory management issues, which
inspired my question about caches or a ram disk. (I have 1 Gb of ram).

Themis, the problem has been around well before synchronization was
possible in TeXshop. I am certainly not inadvertently using
synchronization.

David, you bring up an interesting possibility. I experimented by
placing the preview at some place a page or so before the end of the
document and typesetting a second time without changing anything
(just pushed the typeset button a second time). It did jump after the
first typeset, but there was no change after the second typeset. I am
therefore not observing the behavior you mentioned.  (I am using
continuous scrolling).

Thanks again.

Warren Nagourney