[OS X TeX] Acrobat Presentation Bundle -- Webdings

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Nov 7 13:09:33 CET 2008

On Thu 6th Nov, 2008 at 21:39, David Arnold seems to have written:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the latest MacTex (2008) on my Power Mac G5. I am trying to
> configure the Acrotex Presentation Bundle from acrotex.net. In the manual
> (http://acrotex.net/data/apb/manuals/apb_man.pdf), there are some
> instructions for installing webdings and wingdings:
>
> The two font sets, wingdings and webdings, are normally available on
> bothWindows and
> Mac platforms.5 APB has a number of different options for creating
> navigational icons, and some
> of these options utilize these font sets.
> The following are instructions for getting MiKTEX to use these dings:6
> 1. Copy the folder apb/extras/apb into the folder C:\localtexmf\fonts\tfm.
> The
> folder apb/extras/apb contains two .tfm files Webdings.tfm and Wingding.tfm.
> For users of MiKTEX 2.6,7 copy the folder into
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.6\fonts\tfm
> 2. Go to the folder C:\texmf\web2c and copy the file updmap.cfg into the
> localtexmf
> folder C:\localtexmf\miktex\config. Open the file updmap.cfg (the one located
> in the C:\localtexmf\miktex\config folder) with your favorite text editor and
> add
> the entry
> # dings for APB
> Map apb.map
> to the bottom of the file and save it to C:\localtexmf\miktex\config.
> For users of MiKTEX 2.6, click Start > Run... on your windows desktop and in
> the Run
> dialog box enter initexmf --edit-config-file updmap. Execute this command
> by clicking OK in the Run dialog box. A Notepad file opens, the first line of
> which reads
> %% T1 font configuration settings. See the MiKTeX manual for help.
> Now, copy and paste the lines
> # dings for APB
> Map apb.map
> into this document, save and close.
> 3. Now, go to the apb/extras folder of the APB distribution and copy the file
> apb.map
> into C:\localtexmf\miktex\config as well.
> For users of MiKTEX 2.6, navigate to the folder
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.6\fonts\map\dvips
> and copy the file apb.map found in apb/extras into this folder.
> 4. Refresh the filename database of MiKTEX.
> 5. Finally, execute the command initexmf --mkmaps from the console command
> line.
> (Again, go to Start > Run... on your windows desktop and in the Run dialog
> box
> enter initexmf --mkmaps and click OK to run.)
>
> I need to know how to do this on my system. I tried:
>
> 1. adding the tfm files to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/apb/
> 2. copied apb.map to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
> 3. adding the lines:
> # dings for APB
> Map apb.map
> to a copy of updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c
> 4. sudo updmap-sys

I have no idea how things work on Windows or for MiKTeX but for Mac OS
X, at least, you'd need to install the actual fonts for TeX. You've
only installed the support files.

I'm not sure whether TeX will find updmap.cfg in the location you've
used.

At least for Tiger, the OS does not supply Wingdings.

The copy of Webdings which comes with Tiger is in an OS X specific
format. To use it, you would have to unwrap the truetype files using a
tool such as fondu. You can install this using i-Installer if you wish.
You would also need to compare the name with the names in apb.map and
comment out or delete the lines for Wingdings if you don't have it.

> More instructions from the manual: "Testing: Now, test to see if things are
> working as designed: Open the file webding_tst.tex
> (found in the root directory of the apb folder) in your favorite text editor
> and latex it, convert
> webding_tst.dvi to the postscript file webding_tst.ps, finally convert to the
> PDF
> webding_tst.pdf by using Acrobat Distiller. Open the PDF in the Acrobat
> application and
> witness you’re beautiful dings!"
>
> The file webding_tst.tex compiled with latex, but the command "dvips
> webding_tst.dvi" produced:

As far as I know, you cannot use truetype fonts with latex - only with
pdflatex. This is why gtamacfonts doesn't add the map files for the
converted OS X fonts using updmap/updmap-sys, I think, but loads them
via style files.

> apb $ dvips webding_tst.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.97 Copyright 2008 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2008.11.06:1416' -> webding_tst.ps
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
> wingding
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for wingding.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> dvips: Font wingding not found,  using cmr10 instead.
>
> </usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/dpi600/cmr10.pk>
> dvips: Checksum mismatch in font wingding
> dvips: ! invalid char 220 from font wingding
>
> I am pretty much stuck on how to proceed.

Unless you have a copy of Wingdings (or Wingding or whatever it is
called), there isn't much you can do.

- cfr