[OS X TeX] "Hijacking" a thread

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Nov 5 10:53:45 CET 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 4:20 AM, BenBehr wrote:

> Hi,
> maybe we could get rid of at least all the Signatures. What do you
> think about not including them in every mail, but instead send a
> reminder on how to use the mailing-list once a month? Also everybody
> subscribing to the List could get this mail immediately.

Sounds great in theory, but people don't find that the list guidelines
are sufficiently available when there is a link to them in every
single message. They fail to understand that we are Gary's guests on
his system, even though it says "consult the following" in every
single message.  He has some reasonable guidelines and etiquette notes
that guests seem to think should be ignored.  The reason we left them
in there is because we hope maybe after a few thousand messages,
guests may be curious about the request and links at the bottom. I've
wondered if we should top post the signature.

> Its just an Idea and I do not know if there have been discussions
> about this. So please forgive me if this is an long since debated
> issue.

It is, but it will continue for eternity. Mostly because people don't
"Consult the Following Before Posting". We even said "Please".
JS