[OS X TeX] eps figure into document

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 3 23:13:00 CET 2008

On 3 nov 2008, at 22:38, David Derbes wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Caitlyn Phillips wrote:
>
>> I can not get my file to compile with an eps figure in it. Just a
>> simple source code of what I'm using:
>>
>> %!TEX TS-program = latex
>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
>> \begin{document}
>> Some text \includegraphics{graphA} and some more.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> and then the error message that I keep getting is:
>>
>> ### Saving intermediary ps file /tmp/altpdflatex.12057-1225742897/
>> Please work.ps as Please work.ps
>> ### ps2pdf13 /tmp/altpdflatex.12057-1225742897/Please work.ps /tmp/
>> altpdflatex.12057-1225742897/Please work.pdf
>> /usr/texbin/simpdftex: line 495: ps2pdf13: command not found
>> ### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.12057-1225742897/Please
>> work.pdf ()
>
> I don't know if you're using TeXShop, but if you are, the drill is a
> little non-intuitive.
>
> First, you open the EPS with TeXShop, and this calls ImageMagick or
> GhostScript or something which turns the EPS into a PDF.
> (The experts will tell you and me, too.)
>
> When you choose the EPS file with File->Open, you will see
> eventually the EPS image rendered as a PDF. Close the image file.
>
> Then, in the LaTeX file, you say, as you did,
>
> \includegraphics{filename}
>
> Do NOT include the .PDF extension.
>
> And that should do it, at least if you are generating a PDF file
> with LaTeX.

Will probably work if you're using pdflatex, but Caitlyn seems to use
the TeX + Ghostscript method. I don't know why she is using latex +
ghostscript, perhaps she has pstricks code in that file. Caitlyn could
change the TeXShop preferences, but would be better off with an actual
working installation.

Maarten

For those curious, here is how you tell texshop to use an alternate
distiller:
Add the string "--distiller pstopdf" (without the quotes) to the
simpdftex preferences (for tex and for latex) in the engine tab in the
preferences window, so those strings become (in the default setting):
"simpdftex latex --maxpfb --distiller pstopdf" and similar for tex.
But only do this as a last resort, not to resolve the issue we
currently have.