[OS X TeX] Re: (Re-)installing Adobe Garamond Pro

Stephen R Anderson sra at yale.edu
Sun May 25 01:57:04 CEST 2008

Bruno gave me most of the answer:

> Normally you just need to move the old files from gwTeX to the
> appropriate places for TeXLive:
>
> - afm files (if any) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/afm/
> adobe/garamond
>
> - map file(s) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/
> garamond
>
> - tfm files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/adobe/
> garamond
>
> - pfb or pfa files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/
> adobe/garamond
>
> - vf files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/vf/adobe/
> garamond
>
> - fd and sty files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/
> garamond
>
> Then, assuming the map file has name garamond.map, run in Terminal:
>
> 	sudo mktexlsr
> 	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map garamond.map

And when I did this, it sort of worked ... except that documents using
my Garamond Pro had weird gaps, where the ligatures (including things
like em dashes) should have been.  After some head scratching, I
discovered that there was one more thing missing:

- enc files (if any) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/enc/
adobe/garamond

or whatever.  I guess it's a fact about the way I built these fonts
(using lcdftools), but I had some encoding files (*.enc) that also had
to be made available in order for them to work.

But now they do.

--
Steve Anderson