[OS X TeX] Landscape mode

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 24 21:45:48 CEST 2008

On May 24, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> Holger Schulz schrieb:
>> Am 2008-05-24 um 20:18 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>> \usepackage[dvips]{geometry}   % <-------------------
>> That's the good one.
>
> Well, it probably isn't because we use pdftex in TeXShop by default,
> don't we?
>
> Jürgen.

Howdy,

The geometry package knows if it's being run in pdftex (in pdf mode).
Unfortunately, it can't know what the back end driver is (dvips,
dvipdfm(x), dvipdf) is and they take different specials. Therefore you
need to tell geometry which back end driver you're using.

It is possible to create a geometry.cfg file that picks one by
default. Make a text file with the contents

\ExecuteOptions{dvips}
\endinput

and call it geometry.cfg. Place this file where geometry can find it;
e.g. ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/configs/ (where ~ is you HOME directory
and you create folders as needed). The the default driver will be
dvips and pdftex will still be found automatically. If you use
something like dvipdfm(x) you'll still need to explicitly set the
option.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)