[OS X TeX] How to deal with /var/root/.texlive2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 19 10:29:19 CEST 2008

Doing tests with updmap and updmap-sys, I inadvertently created a
directory /var/root/.texlive2007 (by running erroneously "sudo -H
updmap" instead of "sudo -H updmap-sys"). The only visible symptom was
the output, in Terminal:

updmap: using transcript file `/var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-var/web2c/
updmap.log'

When attempting to navigate to this directory so as to see what's
inside then erase it, it appeared the directory  wasn't visible with
standard permissions, and using "sudo cd" had no effect (i.e. after
entering admin password the prompt indicates the directory is the same):

theo9mc182:~ bvoisin$ cd /var/root
-bash: cd: /var/root: Permission denied
theo9mc182:~ bvoisin$ sudo cd /var/root
Password:
theo9mc182:~ bvoisin$

This evoked vaguely a post long ago on this list, telling cd was a
shell command instead of a stand-alone executable, implying that sudo
has no effect on it. Hence I resorted to launching a new shell with
super-user permissions, and then I was able to proceed:

heo9mc182:var bvoisin$ sudo bash
bash-3.2# cd /var/root
bash-3.2#

Is there a better way to do this, namely to see the content of /var/
root without launching a new shell or without using Directory Utility
(in Leopard) to activate the root user?

Just to clarify, the permissions for /var/root are on my setup:

drwxr-x---   4 root      wheel      136 19 mai 10:02 root

Bruno Voisin