[OS X TeX] Mysterious behavior of Preview.app

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Thu May 15 04:09:25 CEST 2008

The following PDF file shows some mysterious behavior of Preview.app.

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/sample/misc/pplr8r.pdf

Check the characters in the first line. If it was opened with
Preview.app,
you may see some european characters with accents. But with
Adobe Reader, you may see completely different result and that is the
the right one.

The PDF file was generated by running LaTeX with nfssfont.tex for
pplr8r.tfm, and by running the recent DVIPDFMx with the fontmap
line "pplr8r 8r :0:Palatino" to test the resource fork fonts (without
extensions and of size zero; for example /Library/Fonts/Palatino)
in Mac OS X.

I also tried to remove font cache with atsutil. But the result was the
same.

Does anybody give me some hints or comments?

Best regards, ChoF, the developer of DVIPDFMx.