[OS X TeX] Re: Questions about font maps

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed May 14 00:13:03 CEST 2008

Folks,

On May 13, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Francesco Costanzo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have some questions about enabling and updating font maps.  These
> questions are motivated by a fresh texlive2007 installation that I
> did yesterday.
>
> Here is what I did:
> [1] I installed TeXLive 2007 on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz running  MacOS
> X 10.5.2.  No prior installation of TeX or LaTeX existed on the
> machine.  The distribution I installed was "TeXLive-2007-Dev" whose
> link is found on the following page: <http://tug.org/mactex/morepackages
> >.  In addition, I installed the "LeopardTeXFix" downloaded from <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/LeopardTeXFix.pkg.zip
> >.
>
> [2] I then copied on this machine the "texmf" folder (along with its
> contents) from another computer.  The "texmf" folder in question was
> placed in "~/Library/" and, among other things, it contains font
> installations for mtpro2 and lucida fonts.
>
> [3] I then enabled the mtpro2.map and lucida.map using the command
> "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map" (similarly for the lucida)
> and run a final "sudo updmap-sys" (I also disabled the belleek.map)

I haven't quoted Francesco's comments about ~/.texlive2007. I believe
that ~/.texlive2007 is created if TeX Live needs to write files but
finds that the appropriate directories in /usr/local/texlive are not
writable. Typically this happens when creating pk files. I've found
that I can remove ~/.texlive2007 and usually it won't be recreated.

As a test, I just now installed Lucia on my system. It was running TeX
Live 2007 and didn't have Lucida installed, although it did have a few
extra fonts in ~/Library/texmf. I was successful. During the test, I
convinced myself that .texlive2007 isn't needed.

1) I removed ~/.texlive2007, just to be sure

2) I moved a Lucida distribution, which I bought from Tug, into ~/
Library/texmf. This distribution had four folders, named doc, fonts,
source, and tex (each folder had subfolders, of course).

3) I ran the command

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

4) I typeset a Lucida sample, which worked fine, and then checked to
see if ~/.texlive2007 existed. It didn't.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu