[OS X TeX] Re: Preview crashes when printing (Martin Berggren)

Martin Berggren martin.berggren at cs.umu.se
Fri Mar 28 22:42:52 CET 2008

> On Mar 28, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Martin Berggren wrote:
>> Preview crashes when I print the pdf file produced by pdflatexing
>> the source
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \sffamily\bfseries hej
>>
>> \end{document}
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> According to the log-file, cm-super seems to be chosen in this case.
>>
>> No crash occurs if I comment out \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}  (which
>> causes the Blue Sky fonts to be chosen) our put \usepackage{lmodern}
>> (keeping the T1 encoding).
>>
>> Texlive 2007. Mac Leopard, Preview 4.1. Deleting the font cache
>> (using Onyx) does not help.
>>
>> Weird, right?
>>

>> Martin Berggren
>

> Howdy,
>
> There is a known problem in the Leopard printing framework. I was
> hoping it would be fixed in 10.5.2 but no such luck. There is a
> temporary fix; you can print the file through the latest Adobe Reader
> (I hate to say such things).
>
> By the way, the type1 ``Blue Sky'' CM fonts are used by default. The
> command
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> actually forces the use of the CM-Super fonts which are extensions of
> the CM fonts. CM-Super has many accented characters built in rather
> than constructed from parts.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

The weird thing is that the crash is a recent phenomenon (the same
file printed fine in February), and I have only seen the crash when I
use cm-super bold sans serif... Any other flavor of cm does not give
any problem (as I detail above). The fix is easy for me, I can use
Blue Sky (or lmodern if I need Swedish letters), but it would feel
better to know the cause; I would not be surprised if it's a bug that
will show up somewhere else.

Martin Berggren

Department of Computing Science, Umeå Universitet
S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. http://www.cs.umu.se/
~martinb,
Martin.Berggren at cs.umu.se, Ph: +46-90-786 6307, +46-70-732 8111 (cell)