[OS X TeX] Scandinavian {\aa} ??

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Mar 24 22:22:28 CET 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Bruce Kellogg wrote:
>> The name G{\aa}rding, produces an error message on my version of TeXShop.
>> The error message says that there is a missing $. Any suggestions on how
>> I can type the name of this esteemed Swedish mathematician?
>>
>> Bruce Kellogg
>> rbmjk at alltel.net
>
> Howdy,
>
> Can you give a complete, but minimal, example where this occurs? If I simply
> place the name G{\aa}rding into a LaTeX document it compiles fine. Finally,
> it isn't TeXShop that is giving you a possible problem, but the underlying
> TeX distribution.

G{\aa}rding gets latex-ed finely for me too, in a minimal tex file, with
no additional styles. But I recall a crazily rush moment, when one of the
Swedish letters, most likely, namely {\aa}, caused errors for me too, may
be for some additional styles. That is how I got to George's table on
p.512 of Short_Course.pdf.

It would be good to know if indeed some styles are incompatible with
{\aa}.

Roussanka