[OS X TeX] Alternate characters in CM or LM?

Nathan Paxton napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 21 16:52:32 CET 2008

On 20 Mar 2008, at 5:15 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2008, at 09:04, Nathan Paxton wrote:
>

>> Since the PS 35 aren't working so well with 10.5.2 (at least,
>> that's how I understand it)
>
> I'm not sure it's only the ``35 PS fonts'', but as I'm not using
> Leopard, I really don't know.
>
>> I need to use something besides the mathpazo package. I can live
>> with CM or LM, but I'd like to know how to access some of the
>> alternative characters in those. Specifically, I like the look of
>> small caps and old-style figures, as in mathpazo.
>
> I don't think mathpazo uses true small caps; CM and LM do, as
> pxfonts (Palatino-based as mathpazo).
>
>> How do I get those in (I assume) LM?
>
> Just as with mathpazo: \textsc{...} or {\scshape ...} for small
> capitals, and \oldstylenums{...} for old style figures.

	Is there a way to invoke these for the whole document? In mathpazo,
e.g., one can set the package options [sc,osf] for small caps and old
style figures. How do I tell Latex to do something similar with other
fonts, like pxfonts, etc.?

----------
Nathan A. Paxton
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Government, Harvard University

Resident Tutor
John Winthrop House, Harvard University

napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in a
perpetual state of homesickness.
         - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
         -Coco Chanel
=
=
=