[OS X TeX] Feature Request Math Bracket

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 15 14:17:00 CET 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> The way I have solved this in TextMate is to record a macro that is
> triggered only when inside a math environment, and is bound to the $
> key. This macro uses a simple search to move the caret outside the
> math environment. So with this addition, whenever I want to start a
> math environment I press $ (and \( ... \) is inserted), and whenever
> I want to get out of any kind of math environment, I press $ again.
> (And of course the interior of math environments is colored
> different from everything else, in user-defined colors).
>
> Would something similar be possible in TeXShop?

Howdy,

I don't think so since I don't believe there is a way to save the
state (e.g., mathmode, displaymathmode, textmode) once the macro
completes (it's applescript).

What I do in TeXShop is have a macro that inserts the \([what you call
caret]\)• (that last character is a bullet) and I then use another
macro, assigned to a keystroke, that searches for and selects the `•'.
I only add the final `•' if I'm going to have to skip more than a
single character (e.g., not if I'm going to use $[caret]$) since
either case will require one more keystroke to exit the environment.

I use the `•' search macro, and another one that searches backward for
`•' with Command Completion to place complete environments using
abbreviations; the `•' act as placeholders for arguments, etc. E.g.,
typing

benu

at the start of a line and then pressing the ESC key gives

\begin{enumerate}
\item
[caret]
\end{enumerate}•

and then a second press of ESC changes that to

\begin{enumerate}[[caret]]
\item
\end{enumerate}•

for use with an optional argument (I use the paralist package to add
flexibility to list environments). Then I can jump to the next part
using my macros to search for and select the `•'s.

Right now I don't get automatic indenting, but that gives me something
to think about.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)