[OS X TeX] More questions on MacTeX

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 11 01:22:17 CET 2008

On 11/03/2008, at 6:00 AM, Christoph wrote:
> - In the MacTeX readme file it is mentioned that the real directory
> structure of the MacTeX installation (e.g. usr/local or /usr/local/
> texlive/2007) is not visible in the Finder. Instead only Alias of
> these directories are accessible under Library/TeX/Root.
>
> 	Why is it so?
> 	Is there a way to see the real directory structure either in the
> Finder or somewhere else?

I amazed that no one on the list seems to know how to do this.

Just use "Go -> Go to Folder" or its keyboard equivalent in the Finder
and you can enter any absolute or relative directory path and the
Finder will show it and its subdirectories.  What's more it will keep
doing so for some time after move out of it.  Its so much easier than
a shell!

I find it particularly useful when building open source Libtoolized
software because it puts all the build objects in .libs directories
which are otherwise hidden.

My tip for the day, enjoy.
Bill Northcott