[OS X TeX] Once again: Xindy

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Mar 3 09:58:19 CET 2008

On 16.01.2008, at 00:21, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 15.01.2008 um 07:47 schrieb Simon Spiegel:
>
>> xindy saw a big update
>
> ... which is so buggy! Better leave it away. I still can't compile,
> no answers to my bug reports arrive, and when I try to use an
> installed CLisp RTE configure isn't able to recognise its own options:
>
> 	pete 229 /\  ./configure --help
> 	`configure' configures xindy 2.3.1 to adapt to many kinds of systems.
>
> 	Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
> 	  --enable-docs           build and install documentation (default
> is YES)
> 	  --enable-external-clisp Use an external CLISP instead of the one
> in rte/
> 	  --clisp-path            Where to search the external CLISP
> 	  --clisp-dir             Where to seach the external CLISP library
>
> 	Some influential environment variables:
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
> 	Report bugs to <xindy-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>.
> 	pete 230 /\  ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-
> external-clisp --clisp-path=/sw/bin --clisp-dir=/sw/lib
> 	configure: error: unrecognized option: --clisp-path
> 	Try `./configure --help' for more information.
> 	pete 231 /\  ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-
> external-clisp --clisp-path /sw/bin --clisp-dir=/sw/lib
> 	configure: error: unrecognized option: --clisp-path
> 	Try `./configure --help' for more information.

A late followup on this: I can confirm that xindy 2.3 does compile on
OSX. This weekend, thanks to extensive support from Jörg Sommer, I
succesfully built xindy 2.3 on a MacBook and on DualG5, both running
10.5.2. At the moment, the process isn't for the faint of heart,
there are several pitfalls to avoid, but the xindy people are already
working on improving it. At least two problems I encountered will be
fixed. I guess an update will be released shortly. If anyone is
interested in compiling xindy in the meantime, please let me know.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?“ Robert
Gernhardt