[OS X TeX] page setting + a general comment

ludwik kowalski kowalskil at mail.montclair.edu
Sun Mar 2 04:09:24 CET 2008

I am sorry to bother the list again. But I need help.

1) I am straggling with page setting. After reading the introduction
of the manual for the package Geometry (that someone suggested) I
produced the input file that is shown below.

But I was not able to compile it. The error message was that the
\begin{document} is missing. But it is not missing. What am I doing
wrong? The only thing I want is to have 0.5 inch margins on the A4
page. Is there a way to accomplish this without bringing another
package (or packages)?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\usepackage{geometry}

\usepackage[text={7in,10in},centering]{geometry}

\begin{document}

To set dimensions for page layout in LATEX is not straightforward. You
need to adjust several LATEX native dimensions to place a text area
where you want If you want to center the text area in the paper you
use, for example, you have to specify native dimensions as
follows . . . Package geometry provides an easy way to set page layout
parameters. In this case, what you have to do is just . . .

\end{document}

2) P.S. I am discovering that learning LaTex is not a pleasant
experience. Learning Geometry, or Calculus, for example, is very
different in that respect. Why is it so?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt.2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/