[OS X TeX] Inline system of equations

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 30 17:59:43 CEST 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Franck Pastor wrote:

> Le 30-juin-08 à 16:45, Randy Scott a écrit :
>
>> Good Morning!
>>
>> I'm trying to create a system of equations, with a left brace,
>> aligned at
>> the = symbol, to use in an enumerate environment. I want the base
>> line of
>> the system to be on the same line with the enumerate label.
>>
>> In my reading (More Math into Latex, on the 'net), I've only found
>> aligned
>> systems presented as display.
>>
>> Could any of you point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks very much,
>>
>> Randy Scott
>> Santiago Canyon College
>
> I don't exactly understand what you mean by "the base line of the
> system" (the middle of the brace?), but here is a try:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \begin{document}
> A system:
> $\left\lbrace
> 	\begin{aligned}
> 		x + y &= 2\\
> 		x + 2y &= -1
> 	\end{aligned}
> \right.$
> \end{document}
>
> HTH,
>
> Franck Pastor

I want to add for Randy and anyone else that the key to Frank's
solution is to balance a \left\{ with a \right. (that is, \right
PERIOD), otherwise the compiler will complain. The same trick works on
the other side of course; to put the brace on the right, start with
\left. \begin{aligned} ... \end{aligned} \right\}

Also, if Randy needs an equation number, he should use \tag(...) or
else the display environment \[ ... \] or $$ ... $$.

Good luck!

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools