[OS X TeX] LuaTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Jul 30 13:42:45 CEST 2008

Le 30 juil. 08 à 12:42, Holger Schulz a écrit :

> does anybody of you have any experiences with LuaTeX? I'd really
> like to test it, but I even don"t get it to work. I' loaded he Mac
> binary from http://www.luatex.org/download.html but I do not what to
> do with it. Running it with a .tex file results in the message, that
> the format file luatex.fmt was missing.
>
> I found ou tha I need to run luatex in the initex mode to dump a
> format file. But I do not know how that is done exactly. Any hints?

For LuaTeX to work you need not only a binary but also a whole TeX
infrastructure to support it (kpsewhich, texconfig, fmtutil, etc.).
All this will be included in TeXLive-2008 (and MacTeX-2008), working
out of the box. If you're willing to wait a few more months, that
would be the easier solution.

Currently (ie in the current beta), there are problems building luatex
and problems making and finding formats with it. These problems are
being resolved and are far from trivial. For example, currently

	kpsewhich lualatex.fmt

does not find lualatex.fmt while

	kpsewhich --engine=/ lualatex.fmt

finds it.