[OS X TeX] Re: List of feature requests on this list

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Tue Jul 8 00:14:32 CEST 2008

> On 08/07/2008, at 3:49 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>> Skim allows one to take "snapshots" of a PDF and save them in a
>> sidebar. You can isolate one little part of the document and view
>> only that part; and the snapshots float on top of the main window.
>
> What I'd like is for one such floating window to be the target
> of cross-reference hyperlinks in the main PDF viewing window.
> That way you can check on the content of a cross-reference
> without changing the view that is being used to read the paper.
>
> Even better would be if the size of this "cross-reference spyglass"
> would resize automatically, adapting to the size of the material
> being referenced --- i.e., to the size of the rectangle associated
> to the destination anchor, as well as respecting its view attributes.
>
> That is, it could be a rectangle neatly encompassing a figure or
> table,
> changing to a squat wide rectangle for a referenced equation or
> citation.

This is also something Skim does, or at least almost.

If you hover over a reference, a floating window pops up that shows
the anchor point and some context around it, including the page number
corresponding to the anchor. For the most part, that contains all the
info you're looking for.

In my documents, I found that it works perfectly for references, but
is a bit limited for tables and figures, presumable since I have the
caption under the table/figure, and for some reason the caption ends
up being at the top of the floating window. For references to
footnotes, it goes somewhat astray. I mostly use the first case
(references), so I'm very happy.

Jan