[OS X TeX] LaTeX question regarding \pageref

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 1 23:58:01 CEST 2008

Hi Gary,

On 02/07/2008, at 7:12 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

>> I think the only way would be
>>
>> \item
>> The orbits of the planets are ellipses, with the Sun at one focus
>> of the ellipse.\label{Kepler1}
>> \item
>> The line joining a planet to the Sun sweeps out equal areas in
>> equal times as the planet travels around the Sun.\label{Kepler2}
>
> That sort of fixes it. I moved all three labels and, interestingly,
> now the second item breaks in the middle of it -- it did not do
> this before moving the labels. Why must LaTeX do these things? :-)

Make sure that LaTeX sees a \par (e.g., a blank line)
at the end of each item, *before* the next \item .

Otherwise TeX does not know that the paragraph has actually finished
yet.
This could mean that the next \label (when at the start of the item,
as you had it previously) gets processed before the line-breaking
for the previous contents have been established.

The \par ensures that the paragraph (i.e., the item content) has
finished,
so makes for cleaner processing.

> -- Gary

Hope this helps,