[OS X TeX] LaTeX question regarding \pageref

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Jul 1 22:40:02 CEST 2008

Hi.

I have searched comp.tex.text and looked at the TeX FAQ and haven't
been able to solve a problem I am seeing.

Say I have an enumerate environment that begins at the bottom of one
page and finishes at the top of another. I want to \label each \item
so that I can reference the page number on which that \item occurs.
When I do this, I find that the \ref for the item at the top of the
second page is returned correctly, but the \pageref for that item is
not. In particular, the first item on the second page is reported as
being on the first page. The LaTeX FAQ alludes to this problem in the
entry:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=wrongpn

but I don't see how the suggested solution applies to what I need to
do, that is, to reference the page number of an \item somewhere else
in the document.

Here is how I am labeling the \items in the enumerate environment:

\begin{enumerate}
\item
\label{Kepler1}
some text 1
\item
\label{Kepler2}
some text 2
\item
\label{Kepler3}
some text 3
\end{enumerate}

If you typeset the attached .tex file, you will see the behavior I
describe.

Regards,
   Gary

[1 attachment]
    «test.tex» (Size: ca. 4 KB, Kind: TeX Document)