[OS X TeX] missing symbols in mathptmx with pdftex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 08:34:07 CET 2008

Le 29 janv. 08 à 07:05, Nathan Sanders a écrit :

> The relevant documents, when opened in Acrobat, reveal that the
> following fonts are in use by the PDFs:
>
> 	gwTeX version:
> 	CMR10, Symbol, Times-Italic, Times-Roman
>
> 	TeXLive version:
> 	CMR10, NimbusRomNo9L-Regu, NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal, StandardSymL
>
> Since the variables look the same and don't have any display issues,
> but the symbols (both the summation and the infinity) are different,
> it looks like the problem lies in the Symbol font... and lo and
> behold, when I try to use the Symbol font elsewhere, in Microsoft
> Word for example, I'm told that it is not available on my system!
>
> So, more digging is required.  I've got to see why (a) my Symbol
> font is broken, (b) why I can't install Font Utilities or
> ImageMagick, and (c) why my friend's computer seems to have the same
> problems.

Your gwTeX system is apparently set up to use the original Adobe fonts
Times, Symbol and the like, which are not included in gwTeX (nor
TeXLive), instead of the public-domain URW clones Nimbus etc., which
are included in gwTeX (and TeXLive).

This is defined by the LW35 variable in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/
web2c/updmap.cfg. Standard setup is:

#
# LW35
#
# Which fonts for the "Basic 35 Laserwriter Fonts" do you want to use
and
# how are the filenames chosen? Valid settings:
#   URW:     URW fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. n019064l.pfb)
#   URWkb:   URW fonts with "berry" filenames (e.g. uhvbo8ac.pfb)
#   ADOBE:   Adobe fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. hvnbo___.pfb)
#   ADOBEkb: Adobe fonts with  "berry" filenames (e.g. phvbo8an.pfb)
LW35 URWkb

I imagine in your case the variable value must be ADOBE(kb).

You may also have issues with dvipsDownloadBase35,
pdftexDownloadBase14 and dvipdfmDownloadBase14. When set to true
(which I recommend), these variables (also from updmap.cfg) tell
dvips, pdfTeX and dvipdfm to include the fonts in the PDF files they
create.

To cure these problems if present, you should open the TeX i-Package
in i-Installer and run Configure Only, make sure the relevant steps
(those related to fonts) are checked, and then choose the proper value
for each variable.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin