[OS X TeX] missing symbols in mathptmx with pdftex

Nathan Sanders Nathan.Sanders at williams.edu
Tue Jan 29 07:05:24 CET 2008

Okay, so repairing permissions didn't let the TeXLive installer
install the Font Utilities or ImageMagick---both of them cause the
installer to crash.  However, doing a custom install without them
worked fine.  And when the test document is compiled using TeXLive,
the summation symbol is visible in Acrobat.

Digging further, I noticed that it's a different summation symbol, as
can be seen in the following comparison:

	http://wso.williams.edu/~nsanders/missing.html

The relevant documents, when opened in Acrobat, reveal that the
following fonts are in use by the PDFs:

	gwTeX version:
	CMR10, Symbol, Times-Italic, Times-Roman

	TeXLive version:
	CMR10, NimbusRomNo9L-Regu, NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal, StandardSymL

Since the variables look the same and don't have any display issues,
but the symbols (both the summation and the infinity) are different,
it looks like the problem lies in the Symbol font... and lo and
behold, when I try to use the Symbol font elsewhere, in Microsoft Word
for example, I'm told that it is not available on my system!

So, more digging is required.  I've got to see why (a) my Symbol font
is broken, (b) why I can't install Font Utilities or ImageMagick, and
(c) why my friend's computer seems to have the same problems.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far!

Nathan