[OS X TeX] suppress vertical line in table

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jan 28 19:20:46 CET 2008

Hi Alain and Jonathan,

On 29/01/2008, at 4:32 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jonathan Hanson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I believe that there is a command that suppresses the drawing of
>> vertical lines for a particular row in a table, but I can't
>> remember it and can't find seem to find it anywhere.  I want to
>> create n-by-n boxes with labels on the left and top sides for each
>> row/column, and I can't get rid of the vertical lines extending
>> above the box.
>
> I am not quite sure I see what you want but have you considered the
> package hhline?
>
> However, and not to highjack the thread, I would also like a table
> in which the upper left cell has no left and no top line.

Alain, suppose your {tabular} has 6 columns.
Then instead of starting the contents with  \hline
for the top row, use  \cline{2-6}  .
(That makes the "hole" in the top line for you.)

Now for that first cell use  \multicolumn{1}{...}{.....}
where the first {...} is the layout specifier for this cell.
e.g. if you had  |c|  for the column, now use  just  c| .
(Ergo, skip the first vertical line.)

For Jonathan the answer is similar to this latter trick.
He should use a complete row of \multicolumn{1}{...}{....}  cells.
e.g.

   \begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|}
   \multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 1}
   &\multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 2}