[OS X TeX] Texmaker

M. Tamer Özsu tozsu at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 26 16:10:14 CET 2008

Texmaker was mentioned here a few times as an alternative. I have been
giving it a try but ran into a few problems. I wonder if anyone has any
suggestions.

I have set the preferences so that the right paths to various programs used
by texmaker is set. I have also set Quick Build to do latex+dvips+pd2pdf and
then show the pdf file. However, I could not get it to complete the process.
It "appears" to stop in generating the dvi file as the tail end of the log
shows the following:

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 541 strings out of 94074
 6576 string characters out of 1163007
 53804 words of memory out of 1500000
 3847 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 24382 words of font info for 81 fonts, out of 1200000 for 2000
 645 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 23i,7n,19p,175b,220s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,6000p,200000b,5000s

Output written on handbook.dvi (21 pages, 105012 bytes).

Interestingly, it has generated a .ps file as it appears in the directory
with the right timestamp. I could not figure this one out. I would have been
willing to live with that, but now the second problem I could not figure
out...

It does not generate the pdf file as it should. Running ps2pdf separately
from within texmaker (under Tools) gives an error:

Process started

/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf: line 5: exec: ps2pdfwr not found

Process exited with error(s)

However, running ps2pdf from within the terminal runs to completion without
errors.

Also, which ps2pdfwr shows

/usr/local/bin/ps2pdfwr

so, the thing seems to be there...

Any ideas where this might be running into trouble?

--
M. Tamer Ozsu
University of Waterloo