[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 01:27:01 CET 2008

Le 20 janv. 08 à 18:58, Ingo Reich a écrit :

> Am 20.01.2008 um 16:05 schrieb Holger Frauenrath:
>
>> you give me a hint what are the advantages of OpenType ver the
>> Postscript fonts for use in Mac applications (not LaTeX)?

OpenType should provide the wider glyph coverage, and it's the font
format of the future (designed for Unicode if I'm not mistaken)
whereas the Classic font format (FFIL screen font suitcase and LWFN
printer font files) is deprecated (still recognized, but no longer
evolving and designed for 8-bit fonts). OpenType fonts are also cross-
platform I think.

>> And do I understand correctly that there is really no way to
>> convert the OpenType fonts for LaTeX?
>
> There is: http://www.lcdf.org/type/otftotfm.1.html . With otftotfm
> you can create all the necessary pfb, tfm and vf files for use with
> standard latex. You still have to write the .fd and .sty files
> though, along the lines described in Lehmann's and others
> fonttutorials.

I have never experimented with that, but yes the conversion is
certainly possible.

Something I forgot in my last mail: the page <http://tug.org/mactex/fonts/
 > contains pointers to a number of useful resources regarding fonts
with TeX on OS X.

Bruno