[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Ingo Reich ireich at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 18:58:23 CET 2008

Hi Holger,

Am 20.01.2008 um 16:05 schrieb Holger Frauenrath:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> this really helped a lot! This was he answer I was looking for. Just
> make sure: you said that Mac Postcript ...
>
>> is the version you'll want for use with pdfLaTeX. It's the Mac OS
>> Classic font format. Putting the screen font suitcase and the LWFN
>> PostScript fonts inside /Library/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts makes
>> them available for OS X but not for LaTeX.
>
> and that OpenType ...
>
>> is the most advanced version and the most "compatible" with OS X.
>> For using it with LaTeX you'll need to use XeLaTeX, not pdfLaTeX.
>
> Could you give me a hint what are the advantages of OpenType ver the
> Postscript fonts for use in Mac applications (not LaTeX)?
>
> And do I understand correctly that there is really no way to convert
> the OpenType fonts for LaTeX?

There is: http://www.lcdf.org/type/otftotfm.1.html . With otftotfm you
can create all the necessary pfb, tfm and vf files for use with
standard latex. You still have to write the .fd and .sty files though,
along the lines described in Lehmann's and others fonttutorials.

Grüße ins schöne Zürich,
Ingo