[OS X TeX] wyswyg-TeX for Linux?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:29:36 CET 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2008, at 6:59 PM, brian at pongonova.net wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:09:41PM -0600, DAVID FILE wrote:
>>> My professor asked me what was the best interactive latex for
>>> Linux...he uses
>>> a Mac but would like to pass on to his students.
>>
>> LyX is quite useful, although a bit constrained for some uses
>> (which is the reason I swtiched from LyX to vim/LaTeX-Suite, which
>> doesn't fit your bill since it's not WYSIWYG). By "constrained," I
>> mean it's sometimes difficult to convince LyX to do something for
>> you without having to modify the source LaTeX document.
>
> Not so; there is a feature that allows you to enter LaTeX code
> directly into your LyX document.
>
>> For simple documents, it's very nice.
>
> For complex documents, as well. ;-)

For some reasons, I am under the impression that the code produced by
Lyx is not quite the same as that put out by open packages such as
those to be found, say, on CTAN. More to the point, I am under the
impression that the code produced by Lyx has to be edited/typeset
with Lyx. In which case it wouldn't comply with the terms of the GNU
Free Documentation License.

Is this correct?

Regards
--schremmer