[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Sat Jan 19 12:19:35 CET 2008

Hi Peter,

thanks for the fast reply.

> LaTeX works best with PostScript Type 1 fonts – and these are also
> the basis for the Fourier package. BTW, which glyphs will you find
> that are not yet provided by Fourier? It has 16 accompanying PS Type
> 1 fonts ...

Well, I understood from the fourier package description that it only
supports 4 of these, and that you will have to buy the commercial
fonts if you want to use the "expert" options. Is that wrong?

And, furthermore, the idea would be to be able to use the same font
for other stuff as well, such as writing in Pages ...

> I don't think so. Mac OS X is not really supporting PostScript Type
> 1 fonts. When they come wrapped into an OpenType (OTF) format, then
> they will be useful.

... so what exactly are the "Mac Postscript Type 1" fonts which are
sold by Adobe good for (except for being "misused" in LaTeX ;-)

Holger