[OS X TeX] Re: BBedit and LaTeX integration under Leopard (David Airey)

David Airey david.airey at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jan 15 16:47:03 CET 2008

Earlier I posted with inquires into how list members integrated use of
BBedit 8 with LaTeX to produce PDF output. I received many helpful
posts and solutions, some simple Applescripts, some Applescripts to
Unix shell scripts. I followed up with Maarten Sneep's solution, which
worked after he kindly tweaked it and exchanged some helpful emails
off the list. His script fails to find TeX in the right location with
my installation (MacTeX2007 and Leopard), but is smart enough to look
elsewhere, and noisily complains that my TeX environment needs fixing,
but otherwise works well:

aireydc:~ dairey$ /Users/dairey/Library/ShellScripts/CompileTeX-engine
-pdflatex '/Users/dairey/Documents/Jobs/jobs_2008/U_Chicago_2008/
letter.tex'
The tex executable was not found.
Trying some emergency repairs, but
you really should fix your environment.
~/Documents/Jobs/jobs_2008/U_Chicago_2008 ~
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
  %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

One possibility is that the default TeX installation from MacTeX is
not an installation Maarten is expecting. Another possibility is that
my Leopard installation is somehow something the MacTex installation
is not expecting. Regardless, Maarten's scripts works. If anyone else
uses BBedit 8 and a MacTeX2007 installation onto Leopard and doesn't
get the noisy complaints above, please let us know, so we might
determine if it is my system that is idiosyncratic!

-Dave