[OS X TeX] Problem for installing new fonts in MacTeX (TeXLive2007-dev)

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Fri Jan 11 10:06:34 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I wanted to install the new lxfonts (specially designed for slides by
Claudio Beccari). I reproduce the usual TDS in my ~/Library/texmf
package and install the fonts files where they must be (it's not the
first time I have to do so!). Then I enter

updmap --enable Map lxfonts.map

That works fine with gwTeX based on TeXLive 2007, but fails on
another computer with the last TeXLive2007-dev implementation
(installed with MacTeX). I get this message that I don't really
understand:
--------

updmap: This is updmap, version 1167072206
updmap: using transcript file `/Users/fp/.texlive2007/texmf-var/web2c/
updmap.log'

There was a problem finding a proper place to store configuration data.
The message was:
   Directory `/Users/fp/.texlive2007/texmf-config' is not writable

To overcome such problems, set up the environment variable
TEXMFCONFIG to
point to a directory tree that is writable to you, e.g.
   TEXMFCONFIG=$HOME/texmf; export TEXMFCONFIG
or
   setenv TEXMFCONFIG $HOME/texmf

--------

Indeed, the command "echo $TEXMFCONFIG" produces a blank line.

Since I use the bash shell, I entered then, as asked to me

export TEXMFCONFIG=$HOME/texmf

en then re-run the updmap command: everything has gone fluently, and
my fonts are now installed and usable.

Is there thus a problem with the last MacTeX's TeXLive-dev package
configuration?

Thanks in advance,

Franck Pastor