[OS X TeX] xdvi under Tiger

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 9 23:39:07 CET 2008

Juergen Fenn wrote:
> Although I like TeXShop for small tasks such as writing letters I
> would like to stay with Emacs in general. So I prefer the usual X11
> applications.

I use Emacs as my editor as well, but that does not mean you need to
stick with X11 apps for previewing.  You may simply *want* to, of
course, and that's fine, but since you mention that you just switched
to the Mac, you might want to check out some of the native OS X PDF
display apps, all of which can of course be used in conjunction with
Emacs as conveniently as xdvi.  (For one thing, in my experience
anyway, the quality of the PDF rendering is better with the native
apps than with xdvi.)  My own preference is Skim (http://skim-app.sourceforge.net
), but TeXShop's viewer can also be used independently of its editor
and it works very well; just check the "Configure for external editor"
option in the TeXShop preferences.

Also, just FYI in case you don't know, there is a species of Emacs --
Aquamacs Emacs (http://aquamacs.org) -- that is nicely integrated with
the Mac environment, which some people find appealing.

Chris Menzel