[OS X TeX] xdvi under Tiger

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 9 15:27:30 CET 2008

Am 09.01.2008 um 14:32 schrieb Juergen Fenn:

> Thanks für explaining. I've run your script and it's
> created .MacOSX/environment.plist in my home directory. Is there
> anything else I have to add to evironment.plist now?

Nothing more is necessary. Each additional entry is for your
convenience. And it is then guaranteed that this entry will exist in
Terminal, xterm, Carbon, and Cocoa applications. You might think of
CFLAGS, MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, CVS_RSH, LANG, LC_CTYPE,
XAPPLRESDIR, INFOPATH, ...

> The DISPLAY field contains ":0". I've not configured X11 before...

That's OK. It stands for the first screen/graphics card. A second
screen on the same graphics card would be :0.1, the first screen on a
second graphics card :1.0 or just :1.

> I also have found out that I can start xdvi from within the X11
> terminal giving the full pathname /usr/texbin/xdvi-xaw.bin .

A simple xdvi should be OK ... or do you see some error messages
reported?

> It works fine, and if this is the way to run xdvi on my machine I
> could do with it. 8-)

You can set/use AUCTeX in any Emacs. You have also the option to use
texdoc as *the* viewer for everything TeX related. Just prepare a
local copy (only this one will survive a "TeX update") in ~/bin with
the appropriate applications for the file formats used, and you're
done. You can also extend X11's Applications menu. And you have the
option to use PDF viewers (as integrated into TeXShop for example)
for DVI output, too. Most of them quietly convert DVI to PDF before
displaying anything.

> However, I wonder whether there is a way to start xdvi from within
> Apples standard terminal, too?

It will work! You just need to provide Terminal with the DISPLAY
environment variable. The updisp alias/shell function does it –
provided Terminal was launched after a new login. Then it would have
a default DISPLAY set also know the updist command. You can force the
latter via

	. ~/.profile

or by creating a new instance of Terminal (⌘-n), then do the updisp
and DISPLAY will be set.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
				– George W. Bush