[OS X TeX] Re: kpsewhich and TeXShop

Aaron Rendahl rendahla at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:38:02 CET 2008

> At 1:28 PM -0600 1/6/08, Aaron Rendahl wrote:
>> On comp.tex.text the following script was
>> recommended to me for easily viewing sty and cls
>> files within packages:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> emacs -f toggle-read-only `kpsewhich $*`  &
>>
>> Is there a way to modify it to open the file in TeXShop instead of
>> emacs?

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

Herb, you did guess that I was trying to find and open the source
file to various packages, sorry I wasn't clearer.  I tried the Open
Selection macro in TeXShopKit.zip from <http://homepage.mac.com/
herbs2/>, and it worked great, thanks so much.  This is the solution
I'm going to use.

Thanks to others for suggesting this script which does exactly what I
was looking for.
	#!/bin/sh
	open -a TeXShop `kpsewhich $*`
In my test, the & at the end of the command was indeed unnecessary.

I didn't try the advice on creating a shell function but will file it
away as it looks like it could be handy for other things too.

Thanks so much,

Aaron Rendahl
University of Minnesota School of Statistics