[OS X TeX] Springer Journal Template

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Jan 2 00:51:29 CET 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 16:44, Richard J Benish wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> Funny thing is that I kept fumbling around and got it to work
> without consciously changing anything related to the error message.
> (As I recall, Ghostscript was installed along with TexShop. As far
> as I can tell, pdfTeX is not involved here.)

pdfTeX is the default engine TeXShop calls when typesetting a file.
Check in TeXShop's Typeset menu ---you'll see a checkmark in
``Pdftex'' (lower part of the pulldown menu). To typeset the original
Springer document, you have to choose ``TeX and Ghostscript'' instead.

Or, below ``\usepackage{graphicx}'', you can add epstopdf, like this:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}

and then it typesets OK with pdfTeX, without changing anything in the
figures.

> What I did was change a dummy graphic from an eps to a jpg (using
> Photoshop) and the file "example.eps" to "example.jpg".
>
> I wish the error messages were less cryptic and more directly
> related to experience. The "logic" of LaTex usually eludes me.

You can download Prof. Grätzer's Short Course (the free first part of
his ``(More) Math into LaTeX'', 4th ed., published by Springer) in

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Math_into_LaTeX-4/

Best,

Axel