[OS X TeX] superscripting

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 27 03:48:25 CET 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 8:35 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Anthony Morton wrote:
>
>> . . . Remember, for simple formulae you type them in pretty much as
>> you would in a casual email:
>>
>> 	y = 3x + x^2
>
> For some reason this did not compile. But it did compile after I
> replaced 2 with {2}
>
> Can someone explain to me why? I am using TexShop; the only frontend
> I know how to use.
>
> The tiny source file is attached

Howdy,

In-line equations in TeX must be surrounded by $ (e.g., $y = 3x +
x^2$) [that was originally used because it was expensive to typeset
mathematics when all of that was done by hand] or \( and \) in LaTeX
and you make displayed equations by surrounding by $$ (e.g. $$y = 3x +
x^2$$) or \[ and \] which automatically displays the equation centered
on a ``line'' by itself.

If you're using TeXShop take a look at Help->George Grätzer's Short
Course. There's quite a bit to learn BUT IT'S WORTH IT in the end!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)