[OS X TeX] DOS EXTENDED ASCII

Eldon Lytle relampus at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 23:32:28 CET 2008

I HAVE A CHARACTER DISPLAY PROBLEM:

  I'm using laTeX to format documentation for program
code which includes special characters from an
extension of ascii dating back to the DOS, Microsoft
Basic, pre-Windows era. The write-up on it in the
BASIC programming manual of the time simply identifies
the character set in question as ASCII plus a field of
extended codes (which happen to include an assortment
of foreign language characters with diacritics, paired
box shapes, and so on). Here, to be more specific, are
some of the non-letter shapes:▐ ╡ ╢
╟╒ ▓  ░. The ASCII values to
print them from BASIC with  'PRINT CHR$(ascii)' are
given, but so far, I have been unable to connect the
character set as a whole with any laTeX designation(s)
that I can load as an 'inputenc' option. (TeXShop
displays them initially but they don't appear in the
pdf file and are thereafter replaced with a question
mark). Any assistance  in solving this problem would
be appreciated.

Eldon Lytle