[OS X TeX] path before prompt

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 17:17:58 CET 2008

This works well if you only manage one machine; if you have multiple
accounts on various machines, things can become confusing, which is
why the machine name is listed. If you are trying to help a colleague
and you have them logged in, in order to do something like edit
their .bash_profile, and also copy some files between accounts, then
the account owner name takes on the same sort of significance.

In cases where the prompt is not set up like with the host/owner name
of the shell, I find the commands 'hostname', 'pwd', and 'whoami' to
be very useful.