[OS X TeX] Quotation marks question...

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 18 06:46:17 CET 2008

> Taking points for such a reason—in other than a typing or
> typesetting class—is totally unacceptable. That it should be a
> psychology instructor to do so says a lot about the instructor. That
> a school should condone such a behavior, even more. That a state
> university would …

I have the same reaction, if it's a paper that's going to count
significantly toward one's final grade and the idea is to assess on
content rather than on presentation.

But on the other hand, if people haven't learned proper written
communication skills in high school, where will they get the
opportunity to learn subsequently other than through experiences like
this?  Perhaps this particular paper had been singled out by the
instructor as a 'communication exercise' with points to be deducted
for bad typography or language errors.  As long as it's not going to
affect later judgements of one's grasp of psychology, it doesn't
really do any harm.

Mind you, that's the only way I could condone such nit-pickery in the
context of a class paper.

Tony M.