[OS X TeX] MinionPro Package with LiveTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 17 10:54:44 CET 2008

Le 17 févr. 08 à 02:36, Richard Koch a écrit :

> I have been writing Matthew privately. I installed MinionPro in ~/
> Library/texmf/... on my machine and the font works fine here. Now
> the goal is to try to figure out what is different on Matthew's
> machine.

Matthew reported in one of his messages:

> noname:/Users root# kpsewhich --show-path=tfm | tr : '\n'
> .
> /var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-config/fonts/tfm//
> /var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/tfm//
> /var/root/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm//
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/fonts/tfm//
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/fonts/tfm//
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/fonts/tfm//
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/tfm//
> !!/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm//
> /var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/tfm//

First: don't log in as root. Ever. Don't activate the root user (aka
System Administrator). You're on OS X, there's sudo to do everything
from an admin account without having the risk of messing up your
system seriously. Which seems to be the case of Matthew's system. Mac
OS X 10.5 seems to go as far as making it impossible to activate the
root user (there's no longer NetInfo Manager which allowed activation
of root).

There should be none of these /var/root/.texlive2007/ and /var/root/
Library/. Whether or not they are read when logged in as a non-root
user I'm not sure. I hope not, but I fear they are.

In any case I think it's bad to have TeX stuff in /var/root/. If I
remember correctly Gerben's Wierda's explanations from long ago (ie at
the time of the desastrous introduction of per-user setups in teTeX 3
and the resulting updmap/updmap-sys havoc), the purpose of using the -
H in "sudo -H updmap-sys" was to make updmap-sys look at root's home
directory, namely /var/root/, and because there's normally nothing TeX-
related there to switch to the system-wide TeX directories in /usr/
local/texlive/ instead.

Also, the prompt in Matthew's Terminal commands (the # instead of $)
seems to indicate he's not using bash. Maybe zsh? I think that should
have no influence here, but who knows?

In any case, to clean Matthew's TeX installation if that's still
possible without disk wipeout and reinstall (which I'm not sure) I
would recommend:

- Login as admin user (not root). For the following instructions
(about erasing, copying or moving files) you'll probably have to use a
number of sudo's, as in "sudo rm -r /var/root/Library/texmf/fonts/map/
dvips/updmap/"

- Erase in any of

	/var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-config/
	/var/root/.texlive2007/texmf-var/
	/var/root/Library/texmf/
	~/.texlive2007/texmf-config/
	~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/
	~/Library/texmf/

the following files if they exist:

	tex/generic/config/language.dat
	fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
	fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
	fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
	fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
	fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
	fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
	fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
	web2c/updmap.cfg
	web2c/fmtutil.cnf
	web2c/*.log
	web2c/*.fmt

- Erase /var/root/.texlive2007/ entirely (after taking out all stuff
you may have put there manually).

- Erase /var/root/Library/texmf/ entirely (after taking out all stuff
you may have put there manually).

- Remove your personal additions from ~/.texlive2007/ (if any) and
from ~/Library/texmf.

- Put your personal additions at the proper places inside /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local/.

- Run:

	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all
	sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
	sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35
true
	sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --enable Map MinionPro.map
	sudo -H updmap-sys

Some explanations: mktexlsr is a newer name for texhash; the --nohash
option allows updmap(-sys) to update its config file updmap.cfg
without running mktexlsr each time; the --nomkmap similarly allows
updmap(-sys) to update updmap.cfg without recreating all the .map
files each time; the line about dvipsDownLoadBase35 is unrelated to
your problem, it's just a line to change TeXLive's default setting of
not embedding the fonts Times Courier Helvetica etc. in dvips-created
files; and finally the last line is to recreate all the .map files
(such as dvips.map pdftex.map dvipdfm.map) that updmap(-sys) manages
(which may take several minutes) at the end of the process, once
updmap.cfg has been updated properly.

Personally I regret that such actions, which were done in a perfectly
safe and clean way, and with a GUI, by i-Installer at the time gwTeX
was the most popular TeX distro for the Mac, are now left to command-
line user actions with MacTeX. The nicest thing would be that some
developer had taken in her hands to move the relevant code from i-
Installer and the TeX i-Package to the TeX Distributions system pref
panel, which would then become a GUI allowing the user to manage her
TeX installation without having to learn the intricacies of the
underlying command-line tools. Alas, I don't think that will ever
happen.

Bruno Voisin