[OS X TeX] The `%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify' line used in TeXShop ...

John Dann John.Dann at swansea-tr.wales.nhs.uk
Thu Feb 14 15:22:26 CET 2008

> Recognizing unicode is possible, recognising 8 bit encodings is not
> possible, not reliable anyway. For TeX itself you use
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, and it would be good if TeXShop
recognizes
> this.

But the TeXShop code then works out file encodings from the line
endings and stuff for when files are loaded, so these shouldn't have to
be defined explicitly, no?  Does TeX, or LaTeX need to be told what the
encoding is by TeXShop when it runs the typesetting task?

> There are several other settings that can be specified with %! like
the
> default command to process the file

I thought you could specify this in the preferences?

> TeX itself knows nothing about Cocoa, so for TeX you need another
method.

Yeah, I figured! ;)

> However, as far as TeX is concerned the %! commands are just
comments, and
> won't be used by TeX. It is just TeXShop which uses them.

I suppose what I'm trying to work out is if they have any advantages to
them, or if its just the way TeXShop works that requires them.  Would a
person's workflow be extremely inhibited without them?  What would be a
nightmare/impossible to do?

Jon

unauthorized and may be illegal.

Please be aware that, under the terms of the Freedom of
Information Act 2000, Swansea NHS Trust may be required to make
public the content of any emails or correspondence received.  For
further information on Freedom of Information, please refer to the
Swansea NHS Trust website at www.swansea-tr.wales.nhs.uk