[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2007 updmap.cfg query

Rowland McDonnell rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 09:24:52 CET 2008

I've got MacTeX 2007 installed, and it can now see my `local additions'
texmf directory tree.

The next step is to set things up so MacTeX can see my additional
founts, and then get some new formats built.

Founts ought to be straightforward.  All I need to do is add:

Map local_extras.map

to the appropriate file.

There are two updmap.cfg files already, and there's this note in the
texlive documentation:

"Also, if you have a personally-modified copy of fmtutil.cnf or
updmap.cfg, instead of using the ones generated by installation, they
must be installed in the tree referenced by the variable
TEXMFSYSCONFIG."

These are the two originally installed updmap.cfg files:

$ find /usr/local/ -name "updmap.cfg"
/usr/local//texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
/usr/local//texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg

[kpsewhich is no help in telling me which is `the one that gets read'
(if indeed that is the case):

$ kpsewhich updmap.cfg
$ kpsewhich -format=web2c updmap.cfg

(nothing found in either case; what would be the appropriate
incantation?)]

The two updmap.cfg files appear to be identical in content.  texmf.cnf
says that TEXMFSYSCONFIG points thus:

TEXMFSYSCONFIG = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-config

which I assume expands to /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config

So what I did was modify a copy of:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

put the result into:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/web2c/
(creating that web2c directory since it did not exist)

and then ran:

updmap-sys

updmap-sys then read:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg

rather than:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

What I did then was put my modified updmap.cfg in:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/web2c/

replacing the standard updmap.cfg.  And then I ran updmap-sys, which
behaved as before.

A basic initial test saw `one of my added founts turn up in pdfLaTeX
output' which implies it works okay now.

But: I'm puzzled as to why following the texlive documentation failed to
work.  And I'm wondering what the consequences of doing what I ended up
doing might be - in particular, is anything automated likely to modify
my modified updmap.cfg, or similar?

(btw, does updmap-sys usually run this slowly?  A couple of seconds per
map file reference seemed to be about the pace.

1GHz G4 iMac, MacOS X 10.4.11, 768MB RAM, 46GB gigabytes free disc
space)

Rowland.